Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Whys and Wherefores


The question must be asked, why a blog about gender? Well I think about gender a lot. All the time in fact.

What is gender?

What gender am I?

Does it even matter?

How does my sexual orientation play into my gender?

Are they fixed or are they fluid?

How does my race, class, faith, etc. play into my gender?

Am I happy as I am or do I want to change somehow?

How much?

How little?

And again, does it matter?

After a while all these thoughts and internal monologues about gender start to sound like a journal entry, or a book or... a blog.

So I figured I'd share my worries and meanderings with others and see what I learn. Maybe nothing or maybe something. Either way, it'll be interesting.

Oh, and the book thing. I read a lot about the subject, genderqueer and trans stuff mostly, and being that I'm a librarian who volunteers at a GLBTQ Library and Archive maybe I can offer my two cents about some of the many books I read. That should be interesting too.

1 comment:

  1. All valid questions. I've never been happy with who I am, either. I'd never transition to being a woman, because I'd be so ugly and unpassable. I would swap genders with you in an instant if I could.... unfortunately, that's not how life works. Nature, biology, all so strange. Nobody has the answers yet. But maybe the answer is that gender is an illusion... We are all just humanity, and that's all that matters. I dunno. If you come up with a better answer, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete